Friday, 3 July 2009

Sh**s and giggles

It's Saturday, and as with most weekends, the Friday evening euphoria led me to go out and drink straight from work, after invites from students for food and drink, which I regretfully declined, I made my way to my pre-arranged drinks meeting with Eunyoung and Hyewon. I met them in Rainbow bar in Gangnam. Gangnam is an uptown district of Seoul, it is the classier and more expensive option when compared to Hongdae, despite this it is nearer to my home, has fewer honkies in, and is more chilled out. James joined later in the night and the night was a buzz, funny odd conversations, strange Korean drinking games, which seem to have little or nothing to do with drinking, more beating the shit out of each other at random opportunities, though the oddest thing about the game, as with the games my students show me, there seems to be little or no objective in the game, simply to mess around and hit each other. We spent a lot of time drinking and talking and playing food throwing games, everywhere in Korea provides tasteless rice based crisps, these are very good for playing catching- in- your- mouth games.

On the way home, we had the usual yet endlessly amusing times chatting Korean to the taxi driver, we explained to him how we were going home to watch porn, in Korean this is pronounced "ya dong bo go ship o", Eunyoung explained that this is a very rude thing to say, so I repeated my sentence adding the honorific "yo", "ya dong bo go ship o yo". I'm still unsure if this was a resolution to Eunyoung's protests.

On Saturday we went to the park for fun and games, apparently the 4th of July holds some value in some insignificant country just west of Ireland, so this warranted drinking, fireworks and games in the park. This escapade continued until around 5am.

On Sunday I met Hyewon and James, this was an event dominated by the recurring confusion, inexplicable meaningless guilt, and fatigue caused by a weekend of drinking and very little sleep. Despite this it was a fun day, just relaxing in the sun, wandering around Insadong, Seoul is a great place that always seems to have some kind of festival or event going on. On this occasion we went to City hall and sat in the park listening to an orchestra band playing renditions of a variety of songs ranging from good to R-Kelly.

Other than that work has not been bad, very relaxed with the Middle school kids on Exam leave, the adult classes are fun, the classes are getting too big if anything, and it's a real compliment when people bring family, friends and co-workers to join my class.

Not much else is happening so I'm going to check out, enjoy.

Just so you can see, here is a picture with Jo Gwun from a very camp boy band named 2am, you might not be aware of it but he is kind of a big deal here, he is a superstar, and I am his friend, that either makes me a groupie or a stalker, I'm not sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment