This weekend has been fun, again typical of my stay here in Korea, the weekends involve a lot of drinking, talking, sitting in the sun, and most notably, zero sleep.
I'm currently sitting in a cafe after my morning class, I am very very tired, I worked out that I did not sleep between 9am Saturday and midnight Sunday. On Saturday morning we, being the usual group of friends, met in Sinsa and made our way to the outdoor swimming pool nearby. Now, anyone would think that going swimming is a fairly simple and fairly relaxed affair, but as with everything in Korea there are odd rules; firstly you must, I repeat must be wearing a hat at all times, whether it be a swimming hat, beanie or baseball cap, you must wear one, the reasoning behind this baffles me, maybe it's to stop unwanted pregnancies from sharing the same water. The next oddity is that what seems to be a routine part of the swimming process is the lifeguard whistling periodically indicating that everyone gets out of the pool, only to then be told that you may re-enter.
Swimming was excellent, though some off thing seems to have happened to my skin, it has gone red and hurts to the touch, I will see medical advice and get back to you with the diagnosis.
One more note, is that I met a famous person, though unknown to me, he is actually s member of one of the most popular boy bands in Korea 2am, he was very cute looking, I guess around 18 years old, and very camp, but he seemed very popular as there was a group of photographers and a film crew surrounding him. I said a few strange things to him in Korean, mostly along the lines of hello and a brief introduction to my 'best friend' who happened to be a greenfly which had been sitting my arm for about 20 minutes.
Around 8 or 9 we made out way home to get ready for the night's leaving parties, Joe, an Australian and one of my best friend here leaves today, which is a sad occasion, but it's all part of the process. The night went well and we saw off our departing friends, Joe and Amanda, Amanda being a member of the wider friendship circle, who I seem to have met a few times but never remember, still she seemed like a nice girl.
Around 8am I roused back to semi-consciousness sitting in a hot pool in a Jim Chil Bang (Sauna). I made my way home and had a shower before heading off to meet the guys in a park, for relaxation and what I was hoping to be sleep time, but little of this emerged, and for the first 3 hours it ended up just being Hyewon and I, which was cool, but being in a two-some doesn't allow much opportunity for sleep. Around 4 or 5 we had a pretty good group at the park, so we filled our time with beer, football and the usual wacky conversations, ranging from serious issues to the absurd. Around 8pm we made our way to Itaewon to meet Bora and her mum, it was fun and I had a really tasty Thai green curry.
In all the weekend was fun, though as I say run-of-the-mill, it still baffles me how humanity has managed to evolve at a fantastic rate, creating the arts and sciences, but still feel it necessary to spend more time working than they dedicate to leisure or hobbies, something has obviously gone wrong here seeing as cutting back on work time would render unemployment unnecessary, thus balancing social situations and I can only assume the global economy. Though the thoughts which result from my meandering social inquiries are rarely accurate or well informed.
Thanks for reading my blog guys, and just so you know the veil of malcontent which many of you have noted from the style in which I document my experiences is not a reflection on the way I go about my life, it is merely the result of fatigue, maybe I will make an entry when slightly drunk or rested, maybe then my style of writing will seem more jovial and contented.
I'm currently sitting in a cafe after my morning class, I am very very tired, I worked out that I did not sleep between 9am Saturday and midnight Sunday. On Saturday morning we, being the usual group of friends, met in Sinsa and made our way to the outdoor swimming pool nearby. Now, anyone would think that going swimming is a fairly simple and fairly relaxed affair, but as with everything in Korea there are odd rules; firstly you must, I repeat must be wearing a hat at all times, whether it be a swimming hat, beanie or baseball cap, you must wear one, the reasoning behind this baffles me, maybe it's to stop unwanted pregnancies from sharing the same water. The next oddity is that what seems to be a routine part of the swimming process is the lifeguard whistling periodically indicating that everyone gets out of the pool, only to then be told that you may re-enter.
Swimming was excellent, though some off thing seems to have happened to my skin, it has gone red and hurts to the touch, I will see medical advice and get back to you with the diagnosis.
One more note, is that I met a famous person, though unknown to me, he is actually s member of one of the most popular boy bands in Korea 2am, he was very cute looking, I guess around 18 years old, and very camp, but he seemed very popular as there was a group of photographers and a film crew surrounding him. I said a few strange things to him in Korean, mostly along the lines of hello and a brief introduction to my 'best friend' who happened to be a greenfly which had been sitting my arm for about 20 minutes.
Around 8 or 9 we made out way home to get ready for the night's leaving parties, Joe, an Australian and one of my best friend here leaves today, which is a sad occasion, but it's all part of the process. The night went well and we saw off our departing friends, Joe and Amanda, Amanda being a member of the wider friendship circle, who I seem to have met a few times but never remember, still she seemed like a nice girl.
Around 8am I roused back to semi-consciousness sitting in a hot pool in a Jim Chil Bang (Sauna). I made my way home and had a shower before heading off to meet the guys in a park, for relaxation and what I was hoping to be sleep time, but little of this emerged, and for the first 3 hours it ended up just being Hyewon and I, which was cool, but being in a two-some doesn't allow much opportunity for sleep. Around 4 or 5 we had a pretty good group at the park, so we filled our time with beer, football and the usual wacky conversations, ranging from serious issues to the absurd. Around 8pm we made our way to Itaewon to meet Bora and her mum, it was fun and I had a really tasty Thai green curry.In all the weekend was fun, though as I say run-of-the-mill, it still baffles me how humanity has managed to evolve at a fantastic rate, creating the arts and sciences, but still feel it necessary to spend more time working than they dedicate to leisure or hobbies, something has obviously gone wrong here seeing as cutting back on work time would render unemployment unnecessary, thus balancing social situations and I can only assume the global economy. Though the thoughts which result from my meandering social inquiries are rarely accurate or well informed.
Thanks for reading my blog guys, and just so you know the veil of malcontent which many of you have noted from the style in which I document my experiences is not a reflection on the way I go about my life, it is merely the result of fatigue, maybe I will make an entry when slightly drunk or rested, maybe then my style of writing will seem more jovial and contented.

No comments:
Post a Comment