
OK so my first six months in Korea has been a mixed bag. I will systematically summarise the good times, the best times, the occasional bad time and what seems to dominate the agenda here, the repetitive.
Once arriving in Korea I remember thinking about once again being in a place I knew literally nothing about, badly prepared, money issues, and only being vaguely prepared for what was to come, solitude seemed to be the only worry present in my mind.
My first day was interesting: the area where I live, literally 100 yards away from the school is really nice, urban and busy yet with it's own charm, though I'm sure this is just a generic Korean charm. After arriving I met the staff and went for a walk and food with the boss Ms Park and Mr Moon one of the receptionists, it was interesting and on the way they stopped in a shop and bought me a very ugly bed spread, which I think is great. It was odd that the people assigned to showing me around seem to be the only staff members who can not speak English. This was both amusing and exhausting seeing as I hadn't slept in a long time and was still half drunk from the flights medicinal drinking.
To date work has been interesting, though it is very repetitive, I spend most of the week looking forward to the weekend and attempting to do something vaguely productive in the week. My weekends though, have been mostly spent drinking too much, playing the foreigner idiot aimlessly exploring and with little or no culture involved. But life is good, money is being saved, and fun times are being had, it's just odd that the life of work is spent mostly hoping for the times that you will not be working. Despite my vocal malcontent I am enjoying it here, and I do like my job, I'm just once again questioning what the ultimate goal of everything is, dumb hey.
My job consists of 3 parts, the first is teaching children between the ages of 9 and 12. This part of my job consists of attempting to teach English through various methods, though the only one which I can see working is where I can get them to speak English without them noticing, for this I mainly bribe them with candy and game time.
The second part is teaching Middle school children between the ages of 12 and 15, these kids are either the nicest, or are as I like to put it "little shits". But the motives for their awkwardness ranges from them either being painfully shy or just plain insolence. I suppose it's too much to ask for young teenagers to be dedicated students.
The third part of my job involves teaching adults, this is by far my favourite part, not least due to the dedication of the students, but due to the fact that they are more interesting people in general.

No comments:
Post a Comment